Just as our hair needs cutting for aesthetic purposes, the grasses in our backyard also need clipping for the same reason. The use of lawnmowers has been rampant even before because it does make the cutting job easier and makes the grasses size even in height. But what is really a lawnmower, and how does it work?
A lawnmower is a gadget that has rotating blades used for trimming grasses. Over the years, the lawnmowers evolve from the traditional manual operated and gasoline-powered. And in the present times, most of the lawn mowers are now electrically, or battery powered. Aside from that, the blades of the lawnmowers also vary from single to double. The traditional lawnmowers do look larger and bulkier in size, while the new ones are lighter and smaller.
So as the years go by, the invention of the electric lawn mower came into existence. The views were divided as some still preferred the old one, while some are embracing this change that came.
The electric lawn mowers that were invented were also divided into corded and cordless. Let us get into the details of each of these two and find out their similarities and differences.
How to use a cordless electric lawn mower
You finally have the dream lawn mower that you have been wanted for so long. The first thing that you have to do is to know the machine by heart. You have to be knowledgeable about the machine’s features, specifications, usage, extra features, and the accessories that come with it. The user manual is an essential part of the machine. Make sure you will take the time to read and study it while exploring the lawnmower.
Now that you have gained insight into the machine and can assemble it per the manual’s instruction. Let us start with how the cordless electric lawn mower will work.
Switch on the lawnmower, and since it is battery-operated, make sure it is fully charged before you use it. Spot the switch control lever and revolve in a counterclockwise manner so that you can have full access to it. Pull the lever in the direction of the handle of the mower and discharge the mower release. Continue doing this process as you mow. If you want to stop or pause from mowing, you have to let go of the switch control lever.
Tips and Warnings
- Know the symbols and warning signs of the machine to know what is indicated should it experience problems or give cautions.
- In any machine that will be used, safety is the most important concern to the user and other people affected. The lawnmower cuts grasses and can cut body parts too. So be very watchful of your surrounding as you used the lawnmower. Stop mowing if children, other people, and pets are in the area.
- Keep yourself safe. Ensure you will not wear loose clothing as it can get tangled in some parts of the lawnmower. It is also recommended that you should wear gloves and specified boots.
- Please do not use the lawnmower when it is raining to avoid damage to the machine’s parts, especially the batteries.
- To maintain your lawnmower in a good working condition, especially its parts. Check the blades and make sure it is still sharp. Check the nuts, bolts, and screws and make sure they are securely tightened.
- Stop the lawn mower’s operation and remove the battery if you want to do something with the machine-like cleaning, unclogging, or repairing.
- If not in use, put in a dry, locked up place secured, especially from children’s curiosity.
- Do not drain the batteries and do not overcharge them.
- Avoid getting electrocuted; make sure you will not touch the battery terminals, especially wet.
- If you are unsure of repairing, contact a legit repairer or servicing shops.
How to use a corded electric lawn mower
Now you have in your hands the corded electric lawn mower that you need for your lawn. You read the manual, but there are unclear things, especially on the “how to operate” part. Let me give you simple and detailed instructions on how to maneuver your lawnmower.
Position the lawnmower to the area as which you desired to start to mow first. Check the height of the blades to the height of the grasses that you want to trim and make adjustments to the handle as you like. Connect the cord to the mower while making sure you run the cord round to the safety stop.
Plug the other end to the outlet and ensure that the cord is not lying unnecessarily in the ground. Now that everything is set start it by standing in arrears of the mower and squeeze the handle. If you want to stop the machine, slowly release the handle.
Tips and Warnings
- Always be cautious in using the lawnmower. Safety for yourself and others is the main priority.
- Follow thoroughly the user’s manual provided to you.
- Remember that you are working with a lawnmower that has a cord. As you change your directions while mowing, do not forget to clear your ground from the cord so it will not get in the way. It is advisable that you have to turn the machine off and before you remove the cord.
- If there is an instance that you run over the cord, turn off the machine and check for cuts. If there are cuts in the cord, unplug it right away and have it fixed.
- The possibility that the cord will get tangled in the storage is most likely to happen especially if you have long ones; secure a plastic roller for easy storing.
- Purchase an extension cord only if it is really needed and make sure it is compatible or specified for your lawnmower.
- Do not operate on a damaged cord and do not touch them to avoid getting electric shocks.
- Keep the cord away from heat to avoid damage to the cord’s casing or internal wires.
- As well as, do not let the cord get in touch with strong chemicals that could cause corrosion, damages, or can weaken the cord.
- If in doubt or having safety issues with the mower, contact repair personnel.
Whether it is cordless or corded, the thing is that you buy it because you need it, and you can get the maximum benefit from it if your electric lawn mowers have proper maintenance and care. The company of each lawn mower will provide particular guidelines that you can find in your lawn mower’s manual. If you do so, you can be sure that your lawnmower will attain its finest performance and would last longer, saving you from unwarranted costs.