A beautiful lawn increases the beauty of the house, no doubt about that. On the other hand, a neglected property would decrease the elegance of a home. Whenever we think of taking care of the lawn, we search for steps required to mow the grounds correctly, and we find ways to trim the edges; we look for various equipment and mowers for lawn-mowing, etc.
These are undoubtedly the most important and vital steps, but we need to know one more important thing besides these. That is the “perfect time for lawn mowing.” The nourishment of the lawn varies from season to season. Let us see how you will take care of your property in various seasons throughout the year.
The first thing that comes to our mind when we hear ‘summer’ is ‘hot.’ The sun’s scorching heat can put your lawn at serious risk. The three most important things you must do to protect your property from the excess heat of the sun are:
- Adequate watering
- Watering the lawn properly throughout the year is, of course, needed. But watering becomes much more important during this season. Dry weather creates a scarcity of water or even a drought. So naturally, your lawn gets dry too. Externally, you must provide an adequate amount of water to your yard, especially during summer.
- Conservation becomes vital here. Well, there are some easy techniques for watering your lawn. You can use various types of water sprinklers like portable sprinklers, stationary, rotary, oscillating, impact, etc. You can keep a fountain or any sort of decorative water features near your lawn.
- Proper mowing and pest controlling – Again, we would like to remind you that you need to mow your lawn properly without negligence, no matter what other things you require. Mowing and trimming have to be perfect.
Another thing is pest control. You should inspect your yard regularly and check the colors of the grass. Check whether any pests have created damage to the yard.
- Fertilizing – Your lawn needs proper fertilization during the summer season. Enough fertilization will definitely give your yard a natural bright look though you must fertilize throughout the year.
Fall or autumn reminds us all that winter is on its way. That means the fall of temperature and the shortening of days. Your lawn needs a different type of care in this season.
Fertilization is not entirely new. It is equally important in every season. But why should you fertilize during autumn? The answer is ‘for the winter.’ Why so? If you fertilize in autumn, you will provide a natural nutrient boost to the lawn, which can be stored and utilized during the dormancy period. Throughout the winter, the roots will use the stored nutrients and keep growing, and this would continue till spring.
Another thing that happens during autumn is the fall of leaves. Clean your lawn once a week. Aeration is useful in this part of the year. Autumn is a good season for controlling pests and grubs. Try to keep some evergreens, which can dry up during the winter, lively and filled with moisture. This is called winterizing.
Okay, we know it’s cold outside, but do not avoid your lawn. Your lawn needs great care now. The temperature begins to drop and reach the lowest level. Prune your trees in this season. Pruning will lead to the growth of new roots and fruits. One of the threats of winter is snow. When the winter will start to wind down and snow will vanishes, the snow mold will threaten your yard.
As this fungus prefers cold and chilly weather, you must fertilize and maintain your yard throughout the winter. The use of particular fungicides and the right seedling strategies can help. You can use anti-desiccant, which is a kind of foliage spray that moistens trees in cold weather. Enrich and enhance the health of your soil by adding organic supplements. Facilitate growth by yard fertilizers. Reseeding helps to thicken the thin areas of your lawn.
Many prefer summer, but Spring is also quite a fascinating season. Yes, it is, but you have the most significant amount of work now. After winter, your lawn needs more extraordinary care. The first check- did your property develop any sorts of diseases like dead patches while facing the extremities during the winter season? Deal with problems like these and rejuvenate your yard. Things you must do during spring:
- Fertilizing – One of the most common things is fertilization. You have fertilized your lawn during the fall, but to make your grass thick and lush, fertilize again. Use a definite amount of fertilizer.
- Mowing – Another common term is mowing. There can be no alternative to perfect mowing. The best time to start the mower again is spring.
- Preventing weeds – Prevent weeds by landscaping. The perfect time to deal with crabgrass and pre-emergent is spring.
- Measuring the pH level of soil – Figure out which compounds can help your yard to flourish. The correct pH level of soil can help you keep your lawn fresh and healthy for a longer time.
Mow your lawn considering the weather, seasons, and climates. Your hard work of mowing and fertilizing your lawn will surely pay off if you can do these kinds of stuff at the right time.
7 Basics of Lawnmowing
Knowing the equipment – Before mowing a lawn, you have to know the gear like mowers, “edgers,” trimmers properly. You must go through the manual that comes along with the mower and other equipment. After knowing everything in detail, you can use the equipment on the lawn.
- Knowing how to use a mower – It is vital to know how to use a mower. Banging the mower repeatedly against tree trunks can damage and restrict the growth of new trees.
- According to the grass type, setting the mower at the highest preferred setting is essential to set the mower by the grass’s height. Properly mowed grass develops good roots and tends to become livelier and healthier. Setting the mower at the highest setting preferring the grass is really useful.
- Using sharp blades for the mower is required to keep the mower’s blades sharp and honed. Blunt blades can cause the grasses to tear up. Sometimes the grasses turn grey if sharp blades are not used.
- Maintaining a definite height for the grasses – Cutting grass too short results in more weeds, fewer roots, reduced vigor, and many other problems. An actual height must be maintained. The lawn must be mowed in the range between 2 to 4 inches.
- Leaving clippings on the grass – The technique of clipping the grasses until they form rows is called grasscycling. It helps to return nutrients and nitrogen to the lawn, which definitely makes the grasses healthy.
- Mowing a dry lawn and varying the mowing pattern – If the lawn is mowed when wet, there is a chance for the mower to clog due to wet clippings. Brown spots can appear, and the grasses will smother. So mowing a dry lawn is surely a wiser decision.
It is also important to change the mowing patterns to make the grass stand nice and tall.
7 Patters of Lawnmowing
- Mowing the lawn regularly as per requirement – You have to keep in mind that a lawn should be mowed as per needs and requirements. If the lawn is not mowed frequently, it will not take long to transform into a prairie. During the spring season, the lawn may require 2 days of mowing each week. In summer, one can mow every other week.
- Ensuring that the edges are well-trimmed – You need to check whether the grasses are well trimmed or not. If the edges are not trimmed properly, the lawn will never look smooth and delicate. If the edges are snipped first, the mower will be able to pick up the mess created by the sniper, making it look professional.
- Mowing the lawn in the forward direction – While mowing, you must keep in mind that the mower is moved or directed towards the forward direction. That gives a clean and good-looking lawn.
- Overlapping and checking for missed spots – If the mowed portion of the lawn is overlapped, there remains less chance of missing any areas needed to be mowed, and the lawn is undoubtedly mowed perfectly. After mowing, you must check whether you have missed any spots or not.
- Practicing good lawn mowing – It is certainly one of the most accurate things that practice makes a man perfect. In the case of effective lawn mowing, this concept is vital. If you tend to mow the lawn frequently with care and newer techniques, you predict to mow better than the others who practice less. It may seem not easy at first, but it will slowly become one of the most comfortable works. The finishing will be fantastic, and it will save enough time too.
- Striping the lawn – This technique of striping makes the lawn look professionally manicured. The lawn looks different with a cool design and pattern, mostly like baseball fields or football fields.
- If possible, hiring a professional gardener with enough instruments and equipment can be employed to have appropriate mowing skills and perhaps a recognized qualification.
A nicely mowed lawn increases the beauty of a house. So it is a must to keep the lawn green, clean, and disease-free. Some techniques and skills can do the trick. And indeed, the above-listed 14 methods, no matter how basic they may seem to be, are some of the easiest and fastest ways to do your mowing. We would recommend that you apply those, and you get to keep your lawn fresh, lively, elegant, and beautiful – all in the fastest possible time!